Usually I love winter, even though I can often suffer from seasonal blues. The later part of the winter found me with a couple of colds and an injured wrist and elbow/arm (wrist from falling on ice, elbow/arm from something else). So there was a good month+ that I really couldn't do much artwork, which is always a bummer. For folks without body pains it's hard to describe how it can affect everything. It's really draining and distracting. But luckily it's been So. Much. Better. ...And even though it's not 100% back to what it was, I'll take it. :)
Here's some images of works in progress in the studio....Read the captions to see what's what!
The middle photos are of a bundle that I took the color out of. I'm still digesting how they came out. Truthfully, I either did the thiox bath too strong, or kept it in for too long - or both! But I think I should have stopped the process sooner. There's not enough contrast / darker areas. SO that's a disappointment, because it takes hours and hours to rip out all the stitches. But I think there's a couple pieces of silk that seem to have potential so it might not all be a total loss.
The bottom bundle there are in early stages. There's cotton, hemp and linen layered together, and I did the hand-stitched area. I plan on layering more fabrics together, stitching more, and then dyeing them. Very exciting!
The bottom two images - Remember the ikat warp/weaving? Over the holidays I cut the 9-10 yards down to separate panels. Among those, there were two panels that were pretty flat/relatively uninteresting, so I thought maybe they'd be better if I cut them down into smaller pieces and took the color out. I'll do another blog post to show more of those other panels at some point...
These small pieces will wrap over 8" x 8" canvases. The black you see the right photo is just some interfacing that I put on the edges to help them not unravel since the weaving is fairly open/loose, and when I cut them they don't have their selvedge anymore. So the black is just there to help the weaving stay stable while I work on deciding the colors to go behind them and whether they will get any added dyeing or stitching. They'll be wrapped around when finished and won't show. (I don't picture then hanging that close together either - it's just the size of my table and/or pin board - they're pretty tight there! )
It is interesting to see how the color from behind changes how each piece looks....
This next photo below shows another piece that's been brewing over time. The fabric is a hemp-linen that I stitched and dyed a couple times, then cut apart and put back together. Then I ripped a bunch of warp threads out to have some more open areas in the bottom half. It's stretched over a painted canvas, so that yellow color peeking through those areas is from that. I've been working some color pencil into some areas, here and there, and deciding what else it needs. It's another 48"w x 30" size piece.
Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone is enjoying their early spring-time! It feels like a long way till real spring up here in Vermont, but we're getting there. One day at a time...
Till next time, Wallace says 'get off your computers and take a nap or go outside' people!